Monday, May 21, 2012

West Austin Studio Tour

"Century Plant" 6x6 oil on board SOLD
This past weekend was the inaugural West Austin Studio Tour. What a wonderful event! This was run by Big Medium and based on the very successful East Austin Studio Tour which they created and have run for years in November over two weekends. This tour was just the one weekend but with a bulging catalog and over 100 studios all West of IH 35 participating, I believe was a huge success. My generous friend Nancy Germond (a fabulous potter - www.germonddesigns.com) invited me to come show my work at her home/studio on West 39th St. I was only able to be there on Sunday so her sister- in-law showed her mosaics on Saturday in the same space. Unfortunately for me Sunday was much slower traffic than Saturday. Nancy said they had well over 100 visitors on Saturday and I would guess we had fewer than 25 on Sunday (most of them Nancy's friends). Regardless I thoroughly enjoyed the event and sold several pieces including the one I painted while waiting for visitors of her neighbor's front yard with a huge century plant about to bloom. I am learning so much from setting up at different venues. For this event I used my 10x10 tent which I bought last year for the Jonestown Street Festival and used for East Austin Studio Tour. Every time I use it I am so glad I bought it. I was so afraid it was something I would never use again, but it is just perfect for so many events. With trial and error I have found that the best way for me to show as many paintings as possible is for me to put out bins of my small oil paintings on masonite on tables so people can flip through them. I am always surprised at which sell and which don't. Some of the ones I consider my all time best have been totally passed over while some I almost didn't put out have sold. Just proves that everyone's taste is different and I should not judge my own work too harshly.

No comments:

Post a Comment