Monday, February 13, 2012

This Week's Painting Adventures

"White on White" 8x10 oil on canvas
"Cruiser" 6x6 oil on board - SOLD
"Main Street" 6x6 oil on board
"Hill Country Vista" 8x10 oil on canvas board
"Don't Get Up on My Account" 6x6 oil on board
This week I painted with my friend, Susan in her studio, attended life drawing, and took a day trip out to Johnson City to paint at The Preserve at Walnut Springs in addition to working in my own studio. I'm so glad I bought the smallest of the EasyL plein air easels. It certainly makes schlepping my gear around much easier. Our paint-in at Susan's was so we could both work on the "White on White" Challenge proposed by Daily Paintworks. Susan and I set up a still life using items she had around her house and then painted the same scene from different vantage points. It was a fun way to spend an afternoon. Our paintings turned out very differently, but we were both happy with them. Mine suffered an accident on the way home when I had to stop suddenly and my purse fell on it. Fortunately it did little noticeable damage to the painting and all the paint on my purse eventually came off with enough polish and elbow grease.

I have not been posting my life drawing paintings although I try to go weekly if I can. I have not been happy with the results which points to the need to be more diligent in attending the sessions. Practice, practice, practice. I painted "Cruiser" from a photo I took in Salida, CO., on our way home from the Christmas holidays. I loved the red around the whitewalls on the tires. I was very pleased with the way this one turned out and even more pleased when it sold to a repeat customer the first day it was posted to DPW. "Main Street was one I painted when I was tired and did not want to post the painting I did in the life drawing session, so I stayed up and tried to do this. The photo was far too complex. There was so much going on that I had to simplify and after putting things in and taking them out several times, this is what I ended up with. I may try this one again with a clearer head.

Saturday was beautiful but cold. Susan and I headed bright and early to Johnson City as our group, Plein Air Austin, were the guests of The Preserve at Walnut Springs for a day of painting their gorgeous property. Jasmin, their marketing director, greeted us with cookies, hot coffee, juice and more in the lovely club house. The property was stunning. Beautiful wide open views, trees, creeks, gullies, deer, longhorn cattle and more. We picked a sunny spot with a beautiful view and got to work. The wind was so strong my easel actually went over once, but I caught it before any damage could befall my painting. The cold forced us inside for hot tea and thawing but we managed to get good paintings out of it. (See "Hill Country Vista" above). We also took time to drive around the property and take lots of photos for future painting fodder. The longhorns were impressive. They were all laying down just off one of the roads when we found them so we got out of the car to snap some photos. They really are huge creatures. I was trying to get closer to #46 to get a good close up when she lumbered to her feet startling us both. Hence the title to my next painting "Don't Get Up on My Account". I decided caution was the better part of valor so I did not approach any closer. Don't be surprised to see more longhorns and views from The Preserve at Walnut Springs in my future paintings. I really enjoyed the scenery there.

Oh, lest I forget to brag, this week has been a new personal best for me with 6 paintings sold (or selling at auction) on DPW. David, Carol and Jennifer Marine you guys rock - Daily Paintworks has been such a wonderful find for me and I can't tell you how much pleasure I get from being able to show and sell my work there.

2 comments:

  1. Your blog is very attractive and much informative I think you are a great Artist...I have got so many tips about painting from your blog,you are doing a great job thanks for sharing.keep it up,
    Painting Company

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are too kind. I appreciate the kind comment, but it makes me realize that I promised tips and really haven't been giving any. So I will try to do better in the future. Thanks for reading my blog.

    ReplyDelete