Sunday, November 13, 2011

Another Arty Week

"Abstraction I" 6" x 6" oil on board check out the Daily Paintworks Auction here


Somehow another week has sped by. This week I attended Life Drawing, two plein air paint out sessions, showed and sold my work in a holiday market, and spent two afternoons looking at art at the annual E.A.S.T. (East Austin Studio Tour). What a wonderful art filled week. I was inspired by some of the art I saw this weekend to try my hand at an abstract painting. The result is "Abstraction 1". I had so much fun playing with it that I may make a series of "Abstractions". Next weekend E.A.S.T. continues and I am considering taking over the space our friend Nancy Germond occupied this weekend and try to sell my art. Judging from the prices in most of the studios, my art would be very underpriced, but that might be a good thing. Christmas is coming and it should be a good time to market my work. Since I am attending a workshop next Saturday, I would only be able to display on Sunday, but since the landlord of the space is agreeable to renting me space for just the one afternoon (at a great price) I think it might be worth a try to see what happens.

"Texas Grazing" 8" x 8" oil on board check out the Daily Paintworks Auction here

"Texas Grazing" was painted at the Michaelis Ranch in 30 mile an hour winds. I won't guarantee that there is not quite a bit of Texas dirt embedded into the paint. The wind was relentless all morning. My friend Susan and I had set up a table to display our paintings at the Holiday Market that Mrs. Michaelis is putting together each Saturday running up to Christmas. She kindly offered us the opportunity to sell our work as well as the opportunity to paint at her beautiful ranch. The table only blew over once, but some of the paintings (fortunately all dry ones) blew off the table several times. Oh the joys of painting en plein air.

"Fall Colors from the Creek Bed" 8" x 10" oil on board check out the Daily Paintworks Auction here

Painting together with a few friends in the dry creek bed of Bull Creek on Friday. The fall colors improve every week. It is perfect weather to paint in Central Texas this time of year. Cool in the morning but warming up to t-shirt weather by about 11 am.

"Distant Barn" 6" x 6" oil on board check out the Daily Paintworks Auction here
When I painted this one, I was simply painting it straight out of my head. There was no reference photo. I had started to paint a horse and failed miserably, so I wiped it out and started over just trying to create a pleasing scene from memories of driving through the US. This is what came out.

No comments:

Post a Comment